Sunday, August 23, 2009

His response-

If someone could figgure out if he at all even moderatly touchs on any of the objections I raised to his argument, I'd love to hear it.

Older pompous person- I wish we could sit down and discuss this over a cup of coffee. We could express ourselves so much more effectively that way. It's obvious to me that you have been well trained in the Church of Christ. I spent over 40 years in the C of C and over 30 of them preaching. So I'm quite familiar with the response of simply offering Bible verses, glibly assuming that the theology behind them is self-evident. The proclamation of God's "plan of salvation" as a mere "morality play" that God acted out in the cross was my primary response when I first began preaching. But after a few years I found it to be a rather inadequate portrayal of the most pivotal event in human history. Paul's theology was much deeper and more nuanced than that. For example, to refer to humanity as "mostly bystanders" in that event is to trivialize our relationship to God and to each other. Well, that's enough for now. Perhaps we could continue this over the phone or, even better, in person.

No comments: