Thursday, September 27, 2007

The way it seems to me

Its funny, so I'm a missions major ( curently, I make no predictions about the future past this semester). One of the things I've notticed, that seems to keep repeating itself in my mind over and over and over, is that everyone seems reall excited about "over there". Going to go to Africa to dig wells and provide clean water? Were do I sign up? Aids? Heres some money. Mexico on spring break? Damn strait I'm going ( I admit its a lot of fun). But it seems as if these trips are either a) penence for the fact nobody lives the way they do on the missions field back home b) a way to escape the reality that the home church is dead ( Gosh, stuff is happening there man! ). Everybody's excited ( includeing moi) about evangalising the mythical land of "over there", we forget over here. Completely. Clean up the comunity events are well attended ( and a great way to get THEM to come Here), but what about your friends? the people you spend the most time with? the people you care about? Nary a word. Not one single frickin' word. Never mind sharing your real ( if very weak and broken) walk with God. That's why we hire minister's! Yes, well I have some reading to do, email to anser, never mind friends going to hell. Nope.

No comments: